Thursday, November 8, 2012

A High Paying Job

The other day, Andrew (my 7 year old) came into the room with .70 cents in his hand.

'Here Mom. This is for you. I wanted to pay you for being such a great mom.'

I stood there a little dumbfounded with a massive toothy smile on my face. I accepted the payment, gave Andrew a big, long snuggly hug and thanked him for being so thoughtful. He left the room and I stared at the coins in my hand. A 70 cent gift had become absolutely priceless.

Motherhood hasn't been an easy journey for me. Having 4 kids (and 2 miscarriages) in a span of 10 years, nursing, post partum depression, constant sleep deprivation, and anger issues are just a few of the mountains I've traversed. Not to mention my Type A perfectionism that God has pried away from my heart (which is still an ongoing process :)) On top of all that, I am a selfish, prideful sinner, which, you know, just really complicates things!

But God. He has walked with me through every single moment, giving me the grace to get through and the energy to press on. Giving me just the right Scripture verse in those few tiny moments that I have to crack open my Bible. Gently reminding me that He doesn't expect perfection, just growth. Shining a spot light on my selfishness and pride and forgiving me when I run to Him in shame and brokeness. Teaching me how to love, and giving me a passion for my family. And this is only the beginning of a long list of amazing things God has done in my life over the last years.

Andrew's payment for being a good mom was also a gift from God and a reminder that my Father can create something beautiful out of something really ugly and broken and very undeserving.

The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the Lord has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,a
2to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
3and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the Lord
for the display of his splendor.     Isaiah 61:1-3

No comments:

Unloading Anxious Thoughts

This morning I got up early for a doctors appointment. To be specific, it was a follow up diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound to rule out th...