Monday, October 31, 2011

Tuesday's Tool - Come Just As You Are


You know that old hymn? 'Come just as you are.... hear the spirit call...'. Many times this song is played at the end of a sermon when the preacher is inviting people to give their lives' to Jesus. I love this hymn. It is a continual reminder to me that I don't have to put myself together before I go to God.

I'm just going to be really honest with you and share that over the last year of my life I had forgotten that amazing truth.  I don't know why I forgot it.  We've gone through significant changes in the last year. Maybe that's why. Regardless, somewhere along the way I dropped the tool that reminded me that I can go to Jesus broken, frazzled, angry, confused, selfish, completely empty, unable to carry the tiny load He's given me, prideful, jealous, ready to throw in the towel... in other words, just. as. I. am.

The results of me not applying this amazing Truth was this feeling that I couldn't go to God unless I cleaned the mess up first. That's like a pig trying to clean all the mud off of himself. It's impossible! Halfway into October I found myself angry and bitter toward God. I didn't want to talk to Him or spend time with Him; all the while, cloaking my demeanor with a fake dose of spirituality. Of course my husband and kids knew the real Jamie and Mommy. (Thank God for a family who loves me.)

Ohhh but the love of God. It goes beyond our messes and pride! My precious Father's relentless pursuit of me despite the horrid ugliness in my heart humbles me beyond measure. He is Love.

So friends and family, that's my tool for this week. The reminder to always keep this tightly snug in your toolbelt of Truth. Know that no matter what mess you're in, what your circumstances look like, where you're mind has been wandering to, what words your mouth has spoken, or the condition of your heart, you can approach your Creator, the Lover of your soul, your precious Heavenly Father with confidence and lay it all at His feet.

1 Peter 5:7 "Cast all your cares upon Him because He cares for you."
Hebrews 4:16 "Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."
1 John 4:9 "God's love was revealed among us in this way: God sent His One and Only Son into the world so that we might live through Him.

'Come Just As You Are'... http://youtu.be/ujBvIkU0dlQ

No comments:

Unloading Anxious Thoughts

This morning I got up early for a doctors appointment. To be specific, it was a follow up diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound to rule out th...