Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Resurrection Day!

This past week a friend of mine gave my family those neat Resurrection Eggs that tell the story of Jesus. So on Good Friday I sat down with my kids and told them the story leading up to the death of Jesus, cracking open 11 of the 12 eggs. My 2 older children were tuned into the story and very curious about the contents of each egg, but my 3 year old was distracted with some toys sitting nearby.  And then I came to the very last egg.  I told the kids that what was inside the last egg was the EXACT thing that was in the tomb on the third day. All three kids quickly gave me their full attention and it was very quiet in the room. I continued to stress how the contents of this very last egg was exactly what was in that tomb. My 8 year old was almost yelling for me to open it - she couldn't wait to see what was inside!

Then I opened it.

And it was empty.

Sarah said "There's nothing inside Mommy." "Yes I know," I said. "And that's what was inside the tomb on the third day - nothing. It was empty!"

They thought it was pretty cool that the egg held only the surprise of the same emptiness that the tomb held! I can't imagine the surprise of the women at the tomb, the disciples, or the 500 people that Jesus revealed himself too! He had risen!
So today I praise God for a risen Saviour and Lord and a very empty tomb! That emptiness represents a deal sealed on our sin debt being paid once and for all.

1 comment:

mariel said...

love how you got thier attention with that! very cute! I love the awe of living the resurrectin story through my kid's eyes :)

Unloading Anxious Thoughts

This morning I got up early for a doctors appointment. To be specific, it was a follow up diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound to rule out th...