Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tuesday's Tool - Respecting our Husbands

Recently I was going through some notes that I took when I was in my mentor's (Louise Thornton) Bible study a few years ago. I came across a sentence that I wrote down that I had completely forgotten about! She was discussing honoring husbands and she said "You don't have to respect the man, just the position of the man." Wow. I thought about that for a while. So many times we get hung up on the question of "how do I respect my husband?" And ladies, respecting the position is how we do just that. 

She then passed on some helpful tips that I want to share with you all. Concerning respecting our husbands, she counseled to:
1.  Speak words of life only
2.  Then shut up!!!
3.  Say it to him only 1 time (this is in reference to giving our opinions, giving him information, sharing a conflict etc...)
4.  Stop calling him at work
5.  The #1 boundary to raising kids is respecting our husbands

Philippians 1:4 says "Rejoice in the Lord always. Let your gentleness be evident to all."
We responed to God first by rejoicing in the Lord ALWAYS. Then we respond to the circumstances by letting our gentleness be evident to all.  It's so much easier to have gentleness when we respond to God first!

I'm in the trenches with you all on this! The curse God put on Eve made it a challenge to our fleshly nature to honor our husbands. (The curse was that she would desire the position of the man).  So let's respond to God first, then to our husbands, children, friends, co-workers.... in gentleness!

No comments:

Unloading Anxious Thoughts

This morning I got up early for a doctors appointment. To be specific, it was a follow up diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound to rule out th...