Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Going where?

  The other day I was driving down the road trying to get to a friends house. With my 3 kids in the back of the van being pretty quiet, you would have thought that I would have been paying attention to the road signs.  Needless to say, I drove past my turn and had to turn around on another street. The kids started getting curious as to why mommy was turning around in an unfamiliar driveway.  When I started to explain my mistake, my 2 year old started crying - I'm not talking about whimpering, but wailing! "What's wrong Ellie" I asked as I was trying to correct my driving mistake. Through torrential tears she says, "I don't want to go this way. I don't want to go this way."  I was actually a little confused at first. Why would my child who has absolutely no sense of direction be giving me her opinion on where we needed to go? Especially since I had explained my mistake to them minutes before. She strongly continued on, "I want to go the other way." I started getting annoyed that she was dictating to me where to go when God spoke so loud to me. He said "You do the same thing.  You throw a fit when I go down streets you don't want to go, even though it's the right way."  I started thinking about how there was no difference between me and my child.
     As believers, don't we stomp our feet and throw fits when God takes us down a path we don't want to go down, even though it's for our best - even though it gets us to the correct destination?  We scream and kick the whole way despite the fact that His thoughts are NOT our thoughts and His ways are NOT our ways. We can't possibly fathom the good He has planned for us on the journey.  He so desires that we just trust Him. He says to us, precious child "Trust in (Me) with all your heart and don't lean on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge (Me) and (I) will keep your path straight." Proverbs 3:5-6.
     Just as I would have liked my little Ellie to sit quietly and trust that her mommy knew what was right, our Creator's goal for us is (as my mentor puts it) to sit back in His lap, eat our popcorn, and watch how He works it all out. 

2 comments:

Jamie said...

1 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Precious little Ellie... tell her I understand. I like a predictable life, but when life takes a detour (like today when my daughter threw up in the back seat while dropping her off at school), I had to change my well-intentioned plans for the day to be a nurse-maid to my child. I know... a small thing, but sometimes it's the small things that trip us up in our faith, are they not? By the way, love the title of your blog "resting faith." I can't think of a better adjective to describe the faith our Father longs for us to possess.

Thanks for visiting the blog; you are always welcome there.

peace~elaine
PS: Is this your main blog? I noticed you have several. Have mercy... I can barely keep up with one! Kudos to you.
May 11, 2010 5:46 PM

Anita said...

Isaiah 55:8-9, one of my personal favorites! Always keeps me in line! :) I heard it once preached (in a life changing sermon on Habakkuk) that it's pretty funny, us thinking that if God would just let us in on His plans, or explain them to us, then we would understand...WHAT?!? Who are we kidding...?!?! That thought makes me giggle...you know me, approaching God, saying, "Why don't you just tell me how/why blah, blah, blah...THEN I'll be okay with it...!"

Unloading Anxious Thoughts

This morning I got up early for a doctors appointment. To be specific, it was a follow up diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound to rule out th...