Saturday, August 29, 2009

Madly in Love

Picture this: You and your husband are sitting on the beach. The waves are crashing, the sun is setting, and there is a brilliant array of colors streaking across the sky. A hint of coconut floats through the air. He reaches over and holds your hand. It's just you and him. And you breathe it all in.
Oh how we long to be intimately known by our husbands. And I don't just mean the sexual aspect of marriage. I'm talking about desiring for our husbands to do things for us that only he would know - like, you know, romantic-I-thought-through-this-a-long-time-ago-and-planned-it-way-in-advance kind of stuff. As women, we all desire it. That's why we've seen the classic romance story a hundred different ways and it still stirs our hearts. He has created us to desire perfect love, and that love is Jesus! David captured how intimately God knows us in Psalm 139.
Psalm 139 says "Lord, you have searched me and know me. You know my sitting down and my rising up; -He knows our hearts and actions intimately.
"You understand my thought afar off." -He knows what we are thinking about.
"You comprehend my path and my lying down, And are acquainted with all my ways. - He knows what we are doing, where we are going.
"For there is not a word on my tongue, But behold, O Lord , You know it altogether." -He knows what we are about to say before we say it.
"You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me." He has set boundaries for us, and His hand is on us.
Verses 7-10 describe how He never leaves us.
Verses 11-12 tell us how He turns darkness to light for us.
Verses 13-16 prove how He skillfully and wonderfully created us.
Verses 17-18 say "How precious also are Your thoughts to me O God! How great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand; When I awake, I am still with You."

Phew, if that isn't a love story, I don't know what is! God knows what brings joy to our souls. He knows what makes us tick - He created us! So the next time you're unloading your groceries and you breathe in the wonderful aroma of honeysuckle, God did that for you. Or when a butterfly twitters around you, that's from His hands. Or when the sunset you're looking at is so amazingly beautiful that you can't take your eyes off it, He painted it for you. He is in love with you and me and He planned it all before the beginning of time.

No comments:

Unloading Anxious Thoughts

This morning I got up early for a doctors appointment. To be specific, it was a follow up diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound to rule out th...