Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Created in His Image

Colossians 1:16 For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities - all things have been created through Him and for Him.

I decided that I needed to write something that Jesus showed me the other day as I drove through the drive through at Dairy Queen. I waited for forever in the line behind another customer while my kids chanted ice cream in the back ground! Finally I pulled up and there was this young woman (19 maybe) working the drive-thru. Now my order was simple: 3 ice creams, one of those chocolate dipped, and a strawberry sundae. No biggie. So the woman repeated my order to me at the pull-up window and then preceded to charge me much more than the price board at the curb stated. So I questioned the clerk and she turned to look at her manager who seemed to correct the situation. I am thinking - this is not difficult. I owe you a five and some change for a few ice creams. Anyway, I started getting frustrated because at this point I've been in this line for atleast 20 minutes, most of that waiting for the clerk to figure out the "dilemma". Finally I handed her the corrected amount of money and she shut the window and starred down at the cash in her hand. I had clearly confused her. Why in the world is this girl working at Dairy Queen? It was in that moment that God spoke to my heart (because I was pretty impatient and starting to think ugly things). He said "Jamie, she is my creation." Enough said. My heart melted with compassion for a girl who maybe had a bad day, or maybe was nervous about doing her job right, or maybe this job wasn't her strong point, but she was giving it 100%. Who was I to question the way the Almighty Creator had created this precious girl. My heart was humbled. So next time you're in any drive thru line, grocery store check out lines (particularly Wal-Mart), or any other lines and you catch yourself frustrated with the clerk, remember that he/she is His creation and give them the benefit of the doubt.

No comments:

Unloading Anxious Thoughts

This morning I got up early for a doctors appointment. To be specific, it was a follow up diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound to rule out th...