Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Tuesday's Tool - Burden Bearer (Part 2)

You know, if we are in Christ, we are called to be burden bearers. 2 Corinthians 1:3-5 tells us that "He comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any kind of affliction throught the comfort we ourselves receive from God." In other words, through all our difficult times, God comforts us. Then we are equipped to comfort those precious folks around us who are in tough times.

A few weeks ago I stopped by a local drugstore to pick up some medicine. As I paid for the Tylenol, the clerk began to tell me about a struggle she was going through. For 15 minutes I stood at the check out counter and listened to this desperate woman pour out her frustrations. I offered a few words of encouragement and told her I would be praying for her - and friends, she thanked me - for just listening.

She needed a burden bearer.

I praise God that because He has comforted me and carried my burdens in many a trial (often using brothers and sisters in Christ as well as total strangers), I can pass that burden bearing comfort right along!

Being a burden bearer to someone can look like so many things. It might be a listening ear, a financial gift, a helping hand, a free service (like babysitting), cooking a meal for a sick friend, giving your extra "stuff" to someone who has a great need for it, praying with someone, a hug, a card. This list could go on and on!

This past year every single one of these "comforts" that I listed above were done for us! I list them because God brought many burden bearers into our lives and circumstances in 2011. Yes, it was a very trialed year for us and God put those friends and family alongside us to carry the load with us - because were weary and the load was too heavy and we just couldn't carry it alone any longer. 

Pray. And look for people around you who are in need of a burden bearer. They are all around us.

And to all our amazing friends and family who carried our burdens with us: thank you. I pray that you will have a greater understanding of God's presence, love and grace in your lives. Many of you made great sacrifices and we don't take that lightly. Thank you.

No comments:

Unloading Anxious Thoughts

This morning I got up early for a doctors appointment. To be specific, it was a follow up diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound to rule out th...