Monday, June 27, 2011

Bad Spot, Good God

Continually throughout Scripture we see our favorite Bible heroes getting into a bad spot. There are the folks who find themselves in a bad spot because of their faith. Like Daniel. He ends up spending a night with some hungry lions, but survives because of God's amazing goodness. And then there is Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. They were put into a furnace - one that was so hot that even the guards who were in charge of making sure the prisoners were incinerated, burned up as well. And standing in the midst of the fire (literally), we actually see Jesus in the furnace with them. Oh and what about Job. He went through some seriously bad, bad spots! Why? Because God allowed the devil to sift Job. Sometimes our bad spots come from our own bad decisions. Like the woman at the well. She had been married and divorced 4 times, and her current man (number 5) wasn't even a husband. And in the midst of her bad spot, we see a picture of God's goodness. Jesus offers His healing grace to her spiritually dead heart. The Bible lists tons of examples of people in bad spots. And hands down, every time, we see God's goodness reaching out.

Child of God, have you ever found yourself in a bad spot? I'm guessing your answer is yes. We all have. Bad spots are inevitable. They come because we live in a fallen, sinful world. Sometimes bad spots are the result of persecution. Sometimes from God allowing us to be tested. Sometimes because we make dumb choices. If you answered 'Yes' to the bad spot question, I have great news for you! We serve a good God and He is right there with you in the midst of your bad spot. Your circumstances won't derail God. He is still in complete control, sitting unmoved on the throne! He is 100% aware of your struggles, persecutions and trials. In fact, we know that everything He allows is for our good (Psalm 84:11)  God is a God of grace, mercy, healing, love. He is all powerful, all knowing. He is intricately involved with every detail of your life (He even knows the number of hairs on your head!) And the amazing thing is that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28)


Friends, let me share with you that I am in a bad spot right now. I am broken. My bad spot is the result of God testing my faith. And this morning as I prayed about my bad spot, God reminded me of His Truth: He is right here with me. Do you hear what I'm saying? God, Creator of the universe, Author of salvation, Perfecter of faith, Giver of Eternal Life, Calmer of Storms is right here with me... and you! Hebrews 13:5 says "...Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you."


If you don't know Jesus as your Lord and Savior, then let me tell you friend that regardless of your circumstances, you are in a bad spot. You are living in a life of sin - but you don't have too. In fact, God offers a free gift of forgiveness of our sins and eternal life to everyone who asks and believes. On the left hand column of this blog are the steps you need to know to be forgiven of your sins and receive Jesus as YOUR Lord and Saviour! Scroll down to find "How To Be Saved".






I                                                                                                        

No comments:

Unloading Anxious Thoughts

This morning I got up early for a doctors appointment. To be specific, it was a follow up diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound to rule out th...